Developer advocate, blogger, and technical writer with fifteen years of experience in the software industry meeting the technical and business needs of developers.
- Saved eBay $17.1 million by working with top-tier and long-tail developers to adopt new Item Condition values by the holiday deadline. Feature required a mandatory code change for all listing tools.
- Triaged ~150 new eBay projects per year for developer impact. Made high-level recommendations to Product Managers on API implementation given understanding of API architecture and 3rd-party developer business needs. Communicated changes to developers, and cycled feedback to Product Managers.
Developer Advocate, API Team
- Managed developer community of 168,000 developers responsible for one-third of all eBay listings and making 4 billion API calls a month.
- Facilitated semi-annual internal Innovation competition with over 100 competitors, 1000 attendees and senior executive and Board of Director visibility. Winning apps became stand-alone products or were folded into the eBay.com site.
- Influenced eBay product roadmap given developer needs. Communicated results through internal, NDA, and public channels. Tracked compliance and folded results back into product roadmap.
- Worked with 3rd-party developers to implement new eBay features and changes with minimum impact to their or their customers’ businesses.
- Met biweekly with top-tier 3rd-party developers (responsible for 25% of eBay listings) to preview upcoming changes under NDA. Connected developers directly with Product Managers for information and feedback. Developers voted it the top benefit of being involved in the program.
- Trained and lead 7-person Social Media & Blogging team for annual eBay Developers Conference (2007-2010). Team produced 25 blog posts over 2.5 days, 10 videos, 700 photos, and over 80 tweets per hour.
- As acting webmaster, performed tasks like redesigning the developer.ebay.com Join page to add AJAX validation and improve usability. Conversion rate increased by 36%.
Technical Writer, API Docs
- Updated and published up to 8,000 pages of API documentation covering four platforms (SOAP, XML, Java, and .NET) every two weeks.
- Reviewed, tested, and documented bi-weekly schema changes to the eBay Web Services platform. Specialized in My eBay, My Messages, Notifications, and eBay Giving Works. Documentation included code samples and changes to schema source code.
- Improved AutoMap and WebWorks build process to support afternoon and nightly builds of 15 different single-sourced doc sets.
- Created internal process docs for Silicon Valley companies like BEA, IdeaBlast, and Lutris.
- Wrote, edited, and indexed a 60-page Getting Started Guide for the EmEditor text editor.
Publications Engineer II
- Scheduled and performed full production on three major product releases (print/PDF/Dynamic HTML/product CD) and six alpha/beta releases a year.
- Designed and created Documentation area of corporate intranet. Had major input into R&D and Training areas. Taught class on working with intranet templates and best practices for publishing to the intranet.
- Provided materials, support, and testing for third-party Japanese translation agency resulting in under budget, early delivery of translated documentation.
- Performed final production on Borland software manuals (approximately 1000-page, five-book documentation sets) including scheduling, copyediting, proofing, logical page breaks, graphic manipulation (where needed), template integrity checks, conversion to multiple formats (PostScript/PDF/Dynamic HTML), and final archiving.
- Set up and maintained Documentation Testing Lab of eight machines running various operating systems, browsers, resolutions, and applications.
- Designed and created paper and online documentation usability surveys to assess user needs.
||Twitter, Facebook, Developer Forums, Developer Blog, TwitterFeed, CoTweet, SocialPing, TweetDeck, Bit.ly
||eBay Star Developer Awards (2007–2010), eBay Radio, RRB Radio (eBay News), GeekSpeak (KUSP)
||eBay Developers Conference (2005–2010), PayPal X Innovate (2009–2010), Web 2.0, Cloudstock (Force.com), iOS DevCamp
|Publishing (print, CD, web):
||Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, Visio, Fireworks, Snag-it
||Windows NT 4–Windows 7, UNIX, Linux, Mac OS
||Java, XML, AJAX, SOAP, Perl, DOS scripting, WebWorks macro language, Regular expressions, JBuilder, XMLSpy, ClearCase, Perforce, CVS, Cygwin, AutoIt
- Participated in 12 hours of training in Print Production on topics ranging from pre-press to proofing bluelines.
- Finished 11 hours of training in Photoshop on an Apple computer.
- Granted a certificate in Technical Writing & Communication after 226 hours of training.
Introduction to Java
- Completed 42 hours of training in Java programming.
- Used BlueJ and JBuilder to write nine Java programs including a bubble sort, a complex user interface, and a text editor.
- 8-hours of intensive, hands-on training in AJAX.
- Created dynamic photo site using script.aculo.us AJAX controls.
- Used the Dojo Toolkit and Ruby On Rails to create an image upload UI and random-image mural generator.
AJAX Boot Camp, AJAXWorld
BA in Philosophy